Tuesday, June 26, 2012



Week 3

June 26, 2012

PROGRESS, PROGRESS, PROGRESS!!!

I've had some ups and downs since last Wednesday when I had my post-op. Let me start with the downs....
My foot was in SOOO much pain for a few nights, and it was from the spot where the 2nd and 3rd metatarsal was cut and shortened. I haven't had any pain in the toes, but I had sharp and throbbing waves of pain during the night in the top of my foot. One night, the pain was so bad, I had to take both of my pain meds in order to go to sleep.


Sample - Not My Foot!
This isn't my foot, but it is a sample of what it looks like when they shorten the metatarsal. I only have one pin in the 2nd and 3rd metatarsal instead of two like in this picture, but regardless, its been painful. The doctor said this was normal and not to worry because, well, it's bone healing!!!




I've also had a lot of swelling, which is normal, but I've noticed that my toes swell more when I'm on my foot for longer than a very short period of time (with the boot, of course).

As you can see, the toes on the right are little sausages, while the ones on the left are regular. I'm hoping the swelling will go down soon.





Now for the UPS.....
The pain in my foot went away after a few days, and I've been able to stop taking the prescription meds for pain. If I have some discomfort, I'll just take a couple of ibuprofen. I was even able to go to a bbq all day on Saturday without any problems. All I did was ice on the way there, and ice on the way back (I kept the ice pack behind my knee in the car). Plus I keep a compression sock on my foot.

Aaand, I've also noticed that I can walk a little on my foot without the boot. It just feels weird, so I'm going to keep walking with the boot until my doctor gives me the ok to wear sneakers at my next appointment tomorrow.

Here's a couple of updated foot shots...

With Compression





This is the compression sock I use on my foot. I just took this pic and the swelling has gone down a little, but my 2nd toe is still really swollen.





The doctor said last week that it only takes a few days for the tape to fall off, but they haven't yet, even with me getting my foot wet and washing it in the shower. The nurse said the longer they stay on, the better the incisions heal, so I'm not going to force them off, but I WANT TO SEE MY TOES!!!









In all, I've seen A LOT of progress in my feet and movement in my toes, and I know the best is yet to come. I'm hoping my foot has healed enough so I can go ahead and schedule the surgery for my left foot a.s.a.p. and get the rest of my healing over with!!


No comments:

Post a Comment