Friday, July 6, 2012

July 6, 2012

I can't believe it's almost been a month since I had surgery on my right foot (June 11th)!!! Since my last post, my foot has healed tremendously! I no longer wake up with pain in my foot, and even though my toes are still pretty swollen, the scarring is getting better daily and I can bear weight on my right foot without any issues.




The bottom picture is the most recent picture of my foot, taken yesterday. As you can see, most of the dark scabs have gone away and the incisions are completely healed. The skin looks really weird on my toes and at the base of my toes, but its slowly peeling away to reveal prettier feet underneath!

Yesterday, I also noticed that my corns were lifting on the 4th and 5th toes. I'm a picker by nature so I started messing with the corns, and they came right off, I couldn't believe it! So now, I'm hoping the skin where the corns were will go back to their natural color. Also my toes are still pretty dark from bruising so I'm hoping my foot will return to its regular color to match the rest of my body, lol.


SO WHAT ELSE HAS HAPPENED???

I got my left foot done!!! WOOOO HOOOO!! I initially wasn't supposed to get my left foot done for another 2-3 weeks, but because of my doctor's schedule and the awesome healing of my right foot, he gave me the ok to get my left foot done this past Monday, July 2nd.

My left foot was not as bad as my right foot; I still needed the hammertoes corrected, but the 2nd toe was the only one that needed to be shortened, and from what the doc told me, he didn't believe he needed to cut the metatarsal (that caused all the pain in the top of my right foot). He also cut a little bone out of the pinkie and removed the tailor's bunion.

BUT LET ME TELL YOU.... I would be sooo wrong if I didn't give the good and the bad of my experience. The day of the surgery, I expected the same process as my right foot;  to go in, get knocked out, and come to in the recovery area. THAT IS NOT WHAT HAPPENED.

You know how they tell you not to eat or drink anything after midnight the day before surgery? Well, because my surgery was not scheduled until 1:00 p.m., I kind of OD'd on the water the night before. Aaaand, when you drink a lot of water, what happens? You pee a lot. So needless to say, I was still so hydrated that even though I was under twilight sleep, I had to pee so bad I woke up before they were finished with my surgery!!! And I felt them cut my pinkie! I will say, the pain was not as bad, it felt more of a burning sting than anything but I knew something was wrong. So I lifted my hand and the anesthesiologist immediately went to work putting me back to sleep. All I remember after that was them saying, "we're almost finished", and I felt a couple of stings in my toes ( I think they were numbing the area). After that, I felt nothing, and woke up right as they were about to take me out of the room. The nurses were very attentive and comforting to ensure I was not in any pain since I woke up during the surgery, and even though I was extremely sore shortly after, by the time I got home, I felt NOTHING for a good 24 hours.

The lesson here is to schedule your surgery as early as possible so you don't OD on water causing you to have to use the bathroom during your surgery!!!

Here's the pics...



The only downside is that I'm back in the boot!!! It's all good though, hopefully I'll be out of the boot 2 weeks earlier than I initially planned since I was able to get my left foot over with.

As far as pain in the left foot, it's been 4 days since surgery and I am still on the meds. The pain and soreness is lessening so I hope to not need the meds in the next couple of days.





No comments:

Post a Comment