Friday, July 20, 2012

July 20, 2012

Well hello there, long time no post!! A lot has changed in the past few weeks since my last update. It has been almost 6 weeks since I had surgery on my right foot, and almost 3 weeks since I had surgery on my left foot. The toes on my right foot still have  some swelling in them, so I wrap them almost every day, but they LOOK SOOO GOOD!!  I have some concerns with the incision scars of the skin on top of my foot where I had the metatarsals cut. The way its healing, its making the incision kind of shiny and bubbly, like a keloid. During my check up, I brought this to the attention of my doc, who said it could take months for the incision to get better, but in the meantime, I needed to exercise my toes - bending them back and forth so the skin would become more pliable, and to continue using Mederma and vitamin E 2-3 times a day.




Here is my right foot 5 weeks post op. The toes are shorter than before and and are still swollen, but the scarring on the toes are getting better.



Also, the corns are gone, and the color is slowly returning to the areas where the corns were.


Here is the right foot 6 weeks post op. As you can tell, I'm trying to keep at least one foot looking decent until I can get a pedicure, so I'm changing my polish every few days. But AN-NE-WAYS, I just put Mederma and vitamin E on my foot in this pic, so its shinier than in the other pic, and it highlights the issue I am having with the incision scars on my metatarsals. The bottom of the scars seem to be more bulbous because the sutures are still dissolving under the skin. I went ahead and took doctor's orders and started stretching my toes, I also tape the incisions to kind of help flatten them out.





 

These are what I've been using to "wrap" my toes with lately. I was using the tape, but in order for them to stay on, I often wrapped them too tight. I got these little toe compressors from my podiatrist's office and they really help because they keep their shape and there's a little cushion that keeps the incision flat and also protects my toes when I put on shoes. I've also seen these little babies in CVS and Wal Mart as well, but I'd rather get them free from the doc's, especially since they charge my insurance so much anyway, they should be free!!! (IJS)

But here's my left foot!
2 Weeks Post-Op

Unfortunately, when I went in for my post-op, the doc noticed my 2nd and 3rd toes leaning a bit, so he retaped all of the toes so they'll sit correctly. And I'm confined to the boot for another week :(. But like I've said before, IT'S ALL TO THE GOOD because in the next few months, I won't even think about what my feet looked like before. Other than the cock-eyed toes, the doc said the bones are healing nicely in both feet, and he was so excited to see my feet because of how well they've been healing. Even my friends and relatives are shocked how much better my feet, well..right foot, looks so far. I hardly have any pain in my left foot, and I can walk without the boot with no pain (even though I still have to wear the boot)

Anyway, when the tape falls off (since I'm able to get my foot wet in the shower now), I'll take some more pics to show the progress of my left hoof, I mean foot. :)



Diet? I was on a diet???

Ok. Let me be straight up, I broke the freakin scale......
No, not because I got so big sitting on my butt eating doughnuts and cake all day, it's because I dropped the scale while cleaning, so I have no clue what I weigh. I went to Wal-Mart to get another scale the day before my 2nd surgery, but they hid them from me so I gave up searching. Hopefully I can get another scale this weekend to see what I've lost or gained, but honestly, I feel like I've gained a couple of pounds.

WHY??


I fell off the stupid wagon. I'm one of those people who if I feel like I'm doing well, I don't deprive myself if I get a hankering for something, and I try not to go overboard. Problem is, the past couple of weeks, my boyfriend has been home a lot, and he's not used to cooking, so we've had quite a bit of take-out for dinner (chinese, pizza, wings and fries, mexican, etc.) and let's face it. Since I haven't been on the meds in a while, I've also had a couple of margaritas. So, during the day, I've done well, but dinner has been a whole different story! I'm back on track now, especially since I still have to fit in my work clothes in a couple of weeks!

So the lesson for today is..... try your hardest to eat healthy as much as possible. That way, if you stray, it is not so hard to get back on track and it doesn't do too much damage.

I've also started doing a bit of pilates (off my feet, of course) and ab work for the past couple of weeks with the ok from my doctor. I basically do exercises from On-Demand, and fast-forward through the parts where I have to use or be on my feet.

I'll post next week about my progress. Hopefully I'll have good news, especially about my weight.





4 comments:

  1. Hi. Do you have any recent pictures of your toes. I recently had a similar procedure (six weeks ago) and wanted to compare scars. What has worked best for your scarring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey are you using anything for scar? Cause my doc didn't give or recommend me anything he just gave me something for my dry skin ?

      Delete
  2. Hi do you have any recent pics of your foot ? I had hammertoe surgery done 6 weeks ago and would like to know if scarring got better cause mine is a bit dark and would like to know if it gets back to my normal skin color . Also what are those things call that u use to wrap your toes cause the bandage I use is starting to get a bit painful? Oh and what type of shoes do you recommend cause is getting cold and I'm tired of wearing crocs ? :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so glad u post this because your story sound exactly like mine young ashamed of my shoe size wearing a size smaller so i just had my operation a week ago i really hope my feet turn out like yours thats how i feel jus look a lil good to atleast wear them in a sandal i havent wore sandals in years and the pain too cant wait till i take this boot off #excited and nervous

    ReplyDelete